My Sweet and Twisted Life

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.” ~Albert Einstein

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Belated Memorial Day

I was reading the Sunday newspaper today at my mom's house (I don't subscribe) and I was reading the list of local fallen heros that the newspaper was paying tribute to for Memorial Day. I recognized one of my classmates from my high school graduating class, Foster Harrington. There is no mistaking that name. I looked it up online and the picture confirmed that it was indeed him. He died Sept. 2004. Weird that I just now know about it.

I saw him at my 10 year class reunion just a year and a half before his death. He was a skinny kid and very shy in school. He had a crush on me in 8th grade. He lived only 6 blocks away. We rode the bus together in junior high. We talked for quite sometime at the reunion. I am so glad for that. He told me he was in the marine reserves and was an EMT. He looked good. He was happy. He had filled out that skinny body. I am so sad to know he is gone and that he gave his life for our country.

http://www.militarycity.com/valor/370952.html

2 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger Woman atop her Soapbox said...

That teared me up. That page is a beautiful tribute.

~TG

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger snowelf said...

You know, you can watch it on the news all day long, but it never seems real until it hits so close to home.
I am so glad you were able to get a chance to talk with him at your reunion.

hugs,
--snow

 

Post a Comment

<< Home