My Sweet and Twisted Life

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.” ~Albert Einstein

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Calgon take me away!

My xhusband is driving me crazy! It is a long story...let's see how well I can hash it out.

January 2004 my XH bought out my half of the business. He didn't have the money at the time to pay me so I agreed to payments over a one year period. My name would remain on the business for that year as backup to make sure he paid. I would take my name off Jan. of 2005.

Well I should have done it sooner. I was kind of a silent partner the year of 2004. He handled everything. (I use to do the books, accounting and etc.) Well he drove the business into the ground. Jan. 2005 my name came off the business even though he still owed me 3 grand. I didn't want to be responsible for any problems he may have been causing the business. I have since found out that he neglected to pay sales tax for that entire year. Also, when he filed federal taxes, the amount he filed was too low. He owes them additional taxes, too. The sales tax owed is in both our names, but the IRS taxes are only in his name.

So, today I had a personal visit (he came to my house) from the state comptroller's office. He wanted to personally let me know that if we didn't pay the sales tax owed, it would be turned over to the attorney general and become a court case. Any assests we own will have leins against them. Well I don't own any property or have assests, but plan on it in the future. I don't have anything that they can put a lien on and neither does he. But it still doesn't sound pretty.

I called him to discuss what needs to be done. I put the ball in his court because this was his doing. The business was 99.9% his when he decided not to pay his taxes. I am caught in it only because my name was on the business. He no longer operates this business. I am sure he does some cash jobs because he still has a van and equipment (carpet cleaning was the business). I told him he needs to sell the van and equipment and use that money to pay back the sales tax, pay me back and whatever is left pay to the IRS. HE thinks that part of the money HE OWES me should go towards that. I said WHAT??? Are you out of your mind. That was not part of the agreement and that money should have been paid to me a year ago! (I do have a notarized agreement) He thinks because the IRS is asking for more tax money because the wrong amount was filed that I should be held responsible for that, too. UM, hellllloooooo. The business is responsible for that , not me! It is not my fault that he ran it into the ground and it is not generating any more income. If his business was doing great and prospering would he be sharing the wealth? I don't think so!! UGH!!! He can't get it through his thick skull! He tells me, "oh I see how you are, you wanna play that way?" Play that way? I'm not playing anything. He just acts like a baby and hangs up on me. So he is just going to let this slide just like everything else in his life. What does he care. He has bad credit and can't even open a checking account. How much worse could it get? He doesn't care that this will ruin my clean credit.

So this is what I am thinking. He has the van. The title is in my name and his name. I have keys to it. I am thinking about taking my happy ass over there and just take it. I don't know if I can sell it without his signature on the title, though. Anyone else know about this??? But I can keep him from using it. Why should he go out and do cash jobs and not share the wealth, but he expects to cough up money when he is in the hole? I won't keep it at my house. But somewhere. I'll find a place. So how much trouble do you think I'll get in? Right now I am thinking none, except I'll hear it from him. Think he'll try something in return? Ok so now I am just thinking out loud. Anyone else have any ideas, comments?

2 Comments:

At 12:22 PM, Blogger Woman atop her Soapbox said...

You can contact the IRS and let them know there are business assets (the van) that they can take possession of and sell to pay off the debt - same with the state.

You could also countersue him for the money he owes you - this would show up as a dispute against any credit issues which doesn't ruin your credit, but shows there is an ongoing issue.

Good luck honey.

~TG

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger snowelf said...

Hey Babs :)

Yes, TG is totally right. And also, I can't say for sure everywhere, but where I live both people have to sign the title. But if you take the van, it's technically NOT stealing!! ;)

Just like when my stupid ex tried to accuse me of "kidnapping" our daughter. Some exes are just pure idiots!

hugs,
--snow

 

Post a Comment

<< Home